Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Her name is Famke...She was a Show Girl!"

This past weekend we were entered at the Central Iowa conformation show at the fairgrounds. Famke's breeders came out from Iowa City with Famke's brother and sister, Gideon and Elle, and her local sister, Cola, was there as well. It was a family reunion!! If her brother Hobbes from East Coast and been there it would have been perfect. The pups were SO excited to see each other and Famke was thrilled to see Meg and Kay as well.

I am a total conformation newbie. Famke is my first conformation dog and before this weekend I had only been in the ring with her at one other show when she was much younger. Meg showed Famke for me last summer and she got her first two points at that show. I feel like I need about 20 arms and that I am fumbling through everything when I am in the conformation ring. I still have so much to learn, but most importantly I just want to have fun with my pup.

I will also admit that I don't put nearly enough time into working on conformation with Famke. I think part of that is because I am still so new to it. I would love to go to a handling seminar sometime soon.

So this past weekend was Famke's third dog show and only my second time showing her myself. We were entered in the 12-18th class with Famke's sisters, Cola and Elle. I felt like Famke was showing nicely (even with my fumbling ) but I was completely shocked when the judge pointed to us for first place. I was shaking because I was so surprised and excited. Famke really seems to enjoy showing and she totally struts her stuff.

On Sunday Famke's lovely sister Cola took the class for her 3rd point as well. It so great to be able to be out there with friends and having such great experiences with the girls. Fun stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment